Thursday, June 25, 2009

Humming right along

I haven't been able to get much RLAPING in as the weather has not been cooperative. But..the most important person that I needed to get some training in is my new friend Hummingbiird from Wenatchee, whom I met on the Conga II.
She has a burning desire to ride, and got her endorsement. The problem was she had no bike, long story short, I managed to find her a bike good deal and all and it is here in Campbell River. No problem, she came over with a trailer to get it hoping to get out in the parking lot with me to get some pointers before heading back. It was not looking good, but here on the Island as we all know, wait a couple hours and that could change. Thank goodness it did, and last night we managed to get a few hours in.
I just let her get comfy with the bike and roll around the parking lot keeping it up getting the feel in first gear. She looked really good on the bike and it is a perfect fit. Around the parking lot she went for awhile, going this way and that way with her stomach tied in knots feeling like she was going to hurl she said.. Really I think she was joking as she sure picked up on things fast. She really listens and puts that info in the right place.
I believe it is easier working with someone who has not developed any bad habits that are hard to break. Usually the fear of looking where you want to go seems so hard. Wanting to look down at the dang cones. This gal snaps her head and doesn't second guess when she hears me say it. I told her, I would never tell her to look on way if there wasn't more than enough room to make the U-turn at the end.
After practising the friction zone for not long at all. She seemed to get right on that too, like she is in a big hurry to learn. In to time flat she was going through the slow cone weave like she was dancing with here bike. Very fast learner I must say.
She felt very good by the time we went home and so did I that she would be going home with her bike in a couple days and not be so afraid of it.
This morning we went out to the lot before I went to work, and she hung around with Tanya for a couple more hours and then even road up to my barbershop which is not far away, but that was the goal, for her to hit the streets before she left back for Wenatchee tomorrow morning.
The plan is to get out there at 5 and get her on the circle and off set cone weave but the rain, does not look like it is going to stop, so hopefully we can get an hour in before work tomorrow.
Way to go Karen you are doing a fantastic job.

No comments:

Post a Comment