Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day one North West Motorcycle School

Well getting ready for day to as I gaze out the window hoping the rain will go away, so that we can have a little more fun in the parking lot. We survived day 1 as I new we would but was very concerned of how we would survive it, especially after not practicing any for the last couple of years. The last time I practiced was in Cheyenne, Wyoming with Doc for about 10 minutes before we did a demo for the rest of the Conga gang. Believe I was rusty, and didn't  realize how much I needed her to yell at me...Snap you head  Flo!!! I hadn't practice with Tanya in CR for a couple years either, any way, getting off track here.
Here we  were, we arrived at the same place for orientation. There was Biird all ready to go and with in seconds, there was Ed our instructor on his big purple gold wing. It felt like yesterday, me and Biird go give him a big hug and nearly know him of his wing. We stood outside chatting awhile. Ed told us there was 3 gals and 3 guys. Cool! He chuckled a bit and said, I don't think we should tell anyone that you two  have taken the course before. We were pretty excited about that and say yeah...That didn't last long because as soon as we walked in, Zolt, says...Hey Flo, would that be you. Here we have Zolt on the left and Ed on the right, fantastic instructors and patients like you would not believe. Never make you feel like a tool even when you know you are one, lol!
Anyhoo, so after the orientation we are off to the parking lot. Once I got there it felt like I never left, still had some knots in my stomach, but was so excited about taking the course and improving my skills, and more excited that Biird was with me. Now you have to remember, I had not ridden anything but a 49 cc scooter since September, so these bikes were all of a sudden looking pretty huge to me. Me and my short ass. They say ok  folks pick a bike cuz that is the one you will be riding for the next 4 days. Ha!..I quickly looked for the lowest bike and jumped on her. Wow, did she feel awesome. We got to play and get the feel of it and then the fun began.
It is totally amazing how many people do not know what the friction zone is...Totally amazing, every time I take a course like this it is unbelievable to see how many people have been riding all their lives and winging it. It actually amazes everyone that is in the course too. I think it is great especially for a man, that can admit he has room for improvement in his slow maneuvers around parked cars. First off we learn of the gray area (friction  zone) and as many of us know you dont learn it over night or in one day. Believe me, with out it, you are not going to make it through. Believe it or not, you finally find it to make it through the day, not after dropping your bike a few times. Yup there was a few bikes dropped yesterday. One in particular spilled out a fair bit of gas, which I didn't realize at first the light it on fire to get rid of the spill. I just remember looking, thinking...yikes....who don dat?? When you are riding around, I can't really make out who is who, we all look the same mostly unless of course you got a pony tail.
Anyway, I was feeling pretty good, double checked had my little Angel stone highway. Zolt always says, when you ride your motorcycle you should feel like you are dancing with an Angel.. To me that was my reminder. So when ever I get tense, I hear his voice...like dancing with an Angel, and my shoulders relax and I do so much better.
With each excercice that came, I scope it out, listen to every single word they say, about using the whole area,  about tire  placement, and yeah....done deal. I am not saying I was perfect, I was nervous, but I will say, I was pretty damn good, lol. I was worried about Biird, and wanted her to feel equally as good. So there I was giving her my motherly instructors words before she enters the figure 8 for the first time. she looks at me and says...Flo!!!! In other words, I got it sista, and she did, she went in, and aced it. I have to say with out a doubt she is a faster learner than I . We both have the same huge will and desire to be the best we can, but she sees it absorbs and does it. I see it...hard to absorb it, and then do it and surprise myself when I do ...
so the long and short of it was, yes there is room for improvement, but I feel more confident but not over confident and cocky that I will ace it. It is that damn old braking that caused me grief by two miserable seconds and I don't know how many tries the last time. So I told myself, listen up girl, listen to every damn word, don't miss a dang thang. There is a reason you a having trouble, figure it out.. They all knew, the instructors that is, where my biggest problem was last time, in the braking., So here it was, my run, my turn, before me, I saw guys locking up their front and back brakes, and I thought no way, not this time...I did my run, and Zlot nodded his head, and said...Whoa Flo....way to go!! Away I went with a big smile.
That was when we did follow the leader and I kept right on his ass, he told me I was getting real good. Anyway it is time to get my ass in gear and get out to the WET PARKINGLOT this morning. It is going to be different that is for sure. I love this parking lot stuff and I love being in control of my machine... Catch ya later!!!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Flo and Karen....as I'm reading your blog Flo, I felt like I was right there with you girl, keep up the great work and KICK BUTT! Love you!
    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! Flo and Karen I'm soooo envious of both of you and so very proud....but then I knew both of you could handle this course...I sure hope your bruises heal quickly and elbow...BE CAREFUL my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I screwed up on my post Flow and Biird!! th Anonymous was me Connie Gay!! sorry I'm not used to these kind of blogs!

    Again Way to go!!!!

    Love you both!!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are the best "the best of the best" someday I'll be half as good and I'll be happy. Love you, miss you and way to go to you both. Jenni "Koozie" vosefski

    ReplyDelete