Monday, October 12, 2009

More advice from Harris

I just looked at your video of the 12 foot cone weave. I see an issue that you can work on in your next practice session. You're doing well on your motor placement, and getting your front tire out to the edge of the gate. This is what I tell people all the time "Use all the space you're given". Because of good motor placement you're getting through the pattern OK.
However, if you can exaggerate the "teardrop" of your turns, you'll find it becomes much easier, and you will be able to run the exercise more smoothly, and consequently faster (speed is never the goal, smoothness and control is the goal. Speed will naturally occur with smoothness and control). I hope you understand what I mean by exaggerate the teardrop. If you were looking straight down at the exercise, your turns would have a teardrop shape. Your going through each gate on the video before the center of your teardrop turn. If you can adjust a little, and get it changed so the center of your curve occurs as you cross the gate, you will find you have more room, and a better set-up for the later gates in the exercise. You can see what I'm talking about if you look at my sidesaddle off-set cone weave versus my other one, with the feet where they belong. In the sidesaddle one, my curves are late (about like yours). In my regular one they are where they belong. Unfortunately the camera angle on the regular one doesn't bring this out as well as I'd like, but you can see it in the gates closer to the cameraman. I am at work now, so I have a scanner available. I made a little drawing that will hopefully illustrate what I'm saying (attached file). It's not the best, but you can see how if you can make a "fatter" curve before the gate, you'll get a better set-up for the next gate. In both the off-set cone weave, and the intersection, if you have a problem, don't look where you have trouble to fix it, look a gate or two earlier, for where you got out of position.
Now this is exactly what Motorman has been trying to get me to do. sounds simple and I know it is, it is just doing it.. It doesn't feel like I have enough time to do the fast left right transitions and get that dip/teardrop big enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment