Friday, September 25, 2009

Parking lot with clients

I had a great day in the parking lot last night. A couple clients of mine came by and asked me if I would go to the parking lot and help them get more comfortable with their bikes. He was riding a new Street Glide and she has a new Sporty. I watched them pull up at 5pm, across the street, and they walked their bikes into the parking stalls about 8 spots away from each other. I knew then they had no idea of the friction zone and especially not the rear brake. It was a very wobbly situation. But good for them, for admitting they needed some help.
He had told me on his last haircut about their new purchases and that they had had a spill where he lost his balance and knocked her over while they were at a stop sign. They were at the point of deciding to let their bikes go, and possibly buy a boat for fun instead. Of course they hear me talking about RLAP and all the courses I am taking, and my goals.
Anyway off to the parking lot we went, it is not the easiest entry way, into the old school, as you have to ride down a side walk. You definitely have to pay attention when you enter .
Just as you enter, the slow cone weave set up. The dots are still there, even though I never use that spot anymore for anyone new as it seems to be too small of an area for a u-turn even though it is more than 26 feet. Later maybe!
As I entered, I did the weave and entered the figure 8 to turn and park my bike, and there low and behold her bike was laying on the ground. Ooops!! I just told her to not be hard on herself, by the time she left tonight, she would have more control of her bike. I asked her if she knew what she did wrong, and she did... She looked at curb, and headed straight for it wanting to stop using her front brake and no power.
I asked them if they had the DVD'S and they had. Yes, they even watched them, but only practised in their minds. Until they had talked to me, they were pretty sure the bikes were going to be sold. He has a gimp knee and told me every time he has to hold his bike up with his knee due to loss of balance he has shooting pain. This of course was where the friction zone came into play and giving it power instead of trying to walk the bike.
We were in the parking lot for 2 hours. It was incredible to them, how much those techniques helped them. He was no longer putting his feet down. Of course still needs more work, and remembering to trust himself in both the head and eyes.
I told them, it was only 3 little techniques that they had to master in slow maneuvers that would give them all the confidence in the world. At first she kept loosing her friction zone, in and out, and I could see how frustrated she was. I decided to play follow the leader, and told her when she heard me snap my throttle to do the same, so I could tell she was in the zone and not just lugging. I told her to stay a bike length or closer to me if she could, and we did follow the leader all over the lot. She did not loose the zone even once, and was looking where she wanted to go.
We practiced stopping. Which I know sounds easy but if you stop to talk to someone before you have completely stopped,, you loose balance and could go down easy. Keep looking straight ahead not down.
I told them to make it a game when coming to a stop at an intersection to see how long you could keep your feet up before you come to a complete stop and have to put them down. Just by staying in the friction zone, and using your rear brake if needed. I could tell that he wanted to continue and she was very pleased with what she had accomplished.
Hopefully they can make it again tonight. I'm telling you, it give me such satisfaction to see somones face when the lights go on, and they feel more incontrol of their big bike. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment